How To Stop Irritation After Shaving Bikini Area
When it comes to shaving, there is one thing that can really drive you crazy. That is the skin irritation that can come along with it. You can get skin irritation anywhere on your body that you shave. However, when you get it in your bikini area that is even worse. Since clothing can irritate it even further. Some think it is just a part of shaving and they have no way around it. That is not true though, there are things you can do. People with sensitive skin seem to even have more of a problem with irritation as well.
There are many factors that can cause skin irritation after shaving, but I am going to tell you some ways on how to stop irritation after shaving bikini area. Let’s go over some of the things that can cause the irritation, then we will move on to things we can do to avoid it or stop it.
Before going to describe about the causes let me introduce 2 of my great posts about bikini shaving and trimming: Best Razor For Bikini Area and Best Bikini Trimmer
Shaving Irritation Causes
Here are some things that can cause irritation when shaving. By knowing them may solve your problem right from the start. However, those who are really sensitive you may need to try more which we will go over next. Some of the most common causes of shaving irritation are:
- Dull razor, a dull or worn out razor can cause skin irritation because it catches instead of gliding smoothly over the surface of the skin.
- Sometimes clothing that sits against that area can cause irritation as well.
- Not using shaving gel or shaving cream, some will use soap or try to go without anything but water. However, using a shaving product puts a layer of moisture between your skin and the razor creating a barrier.
- Perfumes or irritants in shaving creams or gels. You may be having a reaction to something in your shaving cream or gel. Best solution for this is to purchase a sensitive skin formula.
- Perfumes or ingredients in product applied after the shave can cause problems as well. They will irritate the freshly shaved skin causing irritation.
Those are the main causes for skin irritation when shaving down there. The good thing is many of those reasons can be avoided or prevented easier than you may think.
Things to Do to Avoid Skin Irritation After Shaving
There are some things you can do to avoid that painful after shave irritation. Especially before it even starts, so let’s go over some of them.
- Always choose a quality razor, something that has multi blade if possible. That way you can assure less passes are needed to get all the hair. Some irritation is brought on by going over an area too many times. There are a few out there that may become your best bikini razor.
- Use shaving gel or shaving cream when shaving. Some try to get away with shower gel or bar soap, but those are made for cleaning. So, they can have heavier perfumes and more things that can aggravate the skin during shaving. Shaving cream and shaving gel are formulated specifically for using during shaving giving you a moisture barrier you need. They both come in sensitive formulas as well.
- Make sure area down there is thoroughly cleaned before shaving.
- Make sure to continuously rinse blade during use keeping a clean blade.
- After shaving rinse thoroughly to make sure you have removed any product.
- Apply an aftershave product formulated for your sensitive bikini area.
- You could also use some natural products as an aftershave, such as coconut oil. Make sure it is all natural, a little goes a long way. There are some great benefits to coconut oil, including one of which is a protectant.
- You could also use a little bit of cornstarch. Some have used baby powder, but baby powder does have a lot of unwanted ingredients including scent.
- Avoid wearing any undergarments made of rough material. Since it could aggravate the freshly shaved skin.
- Avoid using any products with heavy perfumes in it. Many products with heavy perfumes can cause burning and bumps on that sensitive skin as well.
- Also, make sure that area is thoroughly dry as well after done. Not being completely dry will keep things moist down there which could lead to different problems.
Things To Look For
When you decide to shaving your bikini area, make sure you keep an eye on it. In most cases shaving with go off without a hitch. If you do get irritation though keep an eye on it. If it seems to be getting worse or not going away, you may want to seek the help of a doctor. Also, ingrown hairs can happen, especially since you are shaving down to skin level. There are products that you can buy and use that will lessen the chance of them, but the chance is always still there.
Ingrown hairs are not comfortable, they feel like a really bad pimple. Most of the time there are no serious issues with those as well. Again, though if you experience one that just doesn’t seem right, see your doctor. Always keep the area as clean as possible, the bikini area is susceptible especially right after shaving.
Sure, you just read a lot, but don’t let any of it scare you. I just wanted to make sure I covered all the basis. Some things are learned through trial and error, but if I can help you avoid even one irritation I am happy. I have been there and it is not fun, but with the best razor for you and a little bit of patience you can get pretty creative down there. It comes with practice, but there are so many products out there to help you along the way there is nothing to really worry about.
If you are not sure what type of products you need, play it on the safe side and just invest in sensitive skin items. It makes things a lot easier in the long run, plus in most cases it is healthier as well. Remember anything you use down there can and will be absorbed by your skin.