If you are someone who colors hair often, there are things you need to do when taking care of your hair and scalp.
Keeping your hair color looking great and lasting longer is all about hair care. Using the wrong hair care products can fade and dull your hair. Coloring also tends to take a toll on hair drying it out as well. The first tool in your arsenal for taking care of your color-treated hair is your shampoo.
It is not recommended to use regular shampoo for color-treated hair. While there are some great regular shampoos, they’re just not the best for colored hair.
So, I have compiled a list of some of the best shampoos for color-treated hair. That way you can pick the right one for you…
Each has its own combination of great ingredients, but they all have one thing in common – they are all great for color-treated hair!
Best Shampoo for Color Treated Hair 2021 – Tested and Reviewed!
1. Color Extend Magnetics Shampoo and Conditioner by Redken
Redken is a well known and loved brand in the hair care market. They have always been known for their great products. This product is another great product from them for those with color treated hair. This is a shampoo and conditioner combo, which is great because you will have what you need right from the start.
- IPN technology and amino-acids.
- Sulfate free.
- Targeted repair.
- Detangles and smooths hair.
- Non-heavy formula.
- A very light scent, which is great for those who don’t want a heavy scent.
- Recommended by many hairdressers.
The formula used in this duo produces a hydrophobic barrier to keep the color where it needs to be, in your hair. The IPN technology hair fortifies the hair up to 3 times, making it strong. The conditioner allows for easier combing or brushing through with its detangle properties. There are also no sulfates in this combo either, which is even better.
2. Anti-Dandruff Sage Shampoo by Maple Holistics Organic and Natural
If you are one who loves your holistic and natural products, this is the shampoo for you! This is an all-natural organic formulated shampoo for those with color treated hair.
It is also a great formula for those with dandruff problems as well. Best of all it also promotes hair growth as well!
- Natural and organic.
- No harsh ingredients.
- No sulfates or parabens.
- Cruelty free and vegan friendly.
- 100% pure essential oils and ingredients.
- Combination of sage, tea tree, rosemary ct, verbenone and spikenard.
This shampoo gives off very little lather, which is pretty typical of natural shampoos. There will be different results for different people. Yet with this type of shampoo everyone will benefit from it in one way or another. Continued use will give you the best overall results. This is great for colored hair as well as other types as well. This might be the best shampoo for color treated hair and dry scalp.
3. Bosley Bos-Revive Shampoo for Color Treated Hair
A name that has been in many homes for years, has done it again. They have brought another great product to the market for you to put in yours.
This Bos Revive nourshing shampoo is great for those looking for a color safe shampoo while providing other great benefits as well that Bosley is known for.
- Promotes healthy hair growth.
- Sulfate, paraben and phthalate free. Which also makes it vegan friendly.
- Bosley Inc doctor recommended.
- Reconditions and rejuvenates both the hair and scalp.
- LifeXtend complex strengthens and fortifies the hair follicles.
Bosley is known for its remarkable hair regrowth products. This one has turned out to be the solution for many. It will also strengthen and protect what you already have. However, this is a shampoo that has to be used on a regular basis. Also, if using for regrowth it can take 3-4 months before you will notice a difference so don’t give up too soon. This is a great solution for someone who wants to address several issues in a step that they do in the shower anyways.
4. Kerastase Soleil Bain Color Treated Repairing Shampoo
This top of the line shampoo is great for that over-processed hair. If your hair is suffering from frizz or dryness from coloring, this may be your solution. It can repair damage from many different types of sources such as sun, heat, coloring, sea and pool.
So if you fall into one of those categories, you may want to give this a shot.
- Works on color-treated and or damaged hair.
- Balancing shampoo, evens things out in the hair structure to strengthen and repair.
- It helps to keep color vibrant.
- It gently cleans without over stripping of needed nutrients.
- Great fragrance without being overpowering.
- Gives hair a great shine.
- Protects hair from the sun’s rays.
Kerastase is another hair product brand known by many. It is a perfect product for someone who may have hair damage from one or all the things that were mentioned above. It will leave your hair silky-smooth and shiny. Your friends will surely take notice. According to experts, this one is the best shampoo for color-treated hair and volume.
5. Biolage Colorlast Shampoo and Conditioner by Matrix
Loved by many Biolage is a regular in many homes, once you try it you will know why. This shampoo and conditioner will give you some great results. It has some great benefits to it your hair is sure to love. This formula offered by Biolage will help you get the most out of your color, while still giving you everything else your hair needs.
- Will keep color vibrant for up to 9 weeks.
- Low PH level conditioner.
- Offers detangle properties, making hair easier to comb or brush out.
- Paraben-free product.
- Moisturizes and protects hair.
- Gentle cleansing, to avoid over stripping.
Biolage by Matrix is a great shampoo and conditioner used by many. It has some great natural ingredients that combined with others give you the best end result. You will definitely fall in love with this product once you see how well this formula holds onto your color.
6. Sulfate Free Argan Oil Shampoo by Maple Holistics
This shampoo is filled with plenty of all-natural products that are sure to make you and your hair happy. It is filled with 7 of the best ingredients you can nourish it with.
It is great for everyone in the household both men and women. It is a great option for any hair type and it is also 100% safe for you color-treated beauties out there.
- Contains Argan, Avocado, Keratin, Almond, Camellia, Jojoba and Peach kernel. For all the natural nourishment that your hair needs. Also, contains vitamins A, B1, B2, D, and E.
- Argan oil with no artificial color or additives.
- Made in a facility that exceeds the cGMP levels.
- Great for hair loss, dry hair, flaking scalp, treated hair, and more.
- Repairs damaged hair with proteins.
- Hypoallergenic, which is great for those with allergies. Controls frizz.
If you are looking for a product you can trust, this one you can. It is a product that gets plenty of attention because it works and a huge fan base shows that and once you try it you will know why. It has everything your hair is begging for. From my personal experience, this is the best shampoo for color-treated hair red.
7. Argan Oil Shampoo and Conditoner Duo by Art Naturals
This is the duo you don’t want to be without. No having to search for the right conditioner because you get the shampoo and conditioner together. The formula has a great hair-loving mix that your thirsty hair is sure to embrace. It is a great option for any hair type, including being safe for curls and color-treated hair. You can finally love your locks again!
- Shampoo contains Argan oil, Keratin, Peach Kernel, Almond, Jojoba, Camellia seed, Avocado, Collagen, Vanilla, and honey. Which provides numerous moisturizing and vitamin benefits and not to mention a great scent as well.
- Conditioner contains Burdock Root, Fenugreek, Rosemary, Nettle, Thyme, Marshmallow Root, Birch Leaf, Horsetail, Walnut Seed, Black Currant, Hops, Sage, Buckthorn, Acai, Neem, Cherry bark, Annuum Fruit, White willow, Orange blossom, and cedarwood.
- Conditioner also has the essential oils Aloe Vera and Argan Oil.
- Helps with a variety of hair issues such as hair thinning, dryness, damage, slow growth and more.
When you are looking for that all in one duo, this is it! It is great because it is a great product for everyone in the household that could benefit from it. No having to go to the salon for a salon benefit wash, you can have it at home now.
8. Biolage Colorlast Shampoo and Conditioner Duo by Matrix
Matrix has been bringing us great products for years. They are a product that is recommended by many hair stylists all over the country. So, it is no surprise to see it on our list of best shampoo for color-treated hair.
This formula is formulated for colored hair but is also still beneficial for others as well. This duo gives you the fighting pair against hair damage and in a large size as well.
- Helps hold color up to 9 weeks after coloring.
- Low level PH levels, making it easier on hair.
- Gentle cleansing, to avoid stripping of needed nourishment.
- Made with natural ingredients.
- Great moisturizing benefits.
Matrix is known for using quality ingredients, that is why many love them. Their formulas all contain some type of natural ingredients and this one is no different, this one contains orchid which not only smells great but gives your hair plenty of love.
What To Consider In Shampoo For Color Treated Hair
When you are considering shampoos for your color-treated hair, there are some things to look for. Some are obvious and for others, you may have to do a little reading on the bottle to find what you are looking for. Here are some of those things to look for when purchasing shampoo:
- Look on the front of the bottle, this is usually your first sign a shampoo is great for color-treated hair. Some will say great for color-treated hair, color extend, color hold, or something similar.
- You want to make sure you pick a shampoo with a great moisturizer and a protein in it. Coloring takes a lot out of your hair, so you want to make sure you replace that moisture loss in a healthy way. Protein helps to protect and strengthen your hair as well. Combined it gives you the healthy shiny hair you are looking for. Such as shampoos with Argan, Jojoba, Avocado, and Almond are just a few of some of the great moisturizers.
- You also want to avoid shampoos that have parabens, ammonia, or any sodium lauryl sulfates. They are horrible for your hair and can also affect the scalp and surrounding skin. Steer clear away from shampoos that contain sulfate. It is an ingredient that will fade your coloring, it is added to help clean the scalp but can really strip too much of what you need.
- You should always look for a shampoo with a PH level between 4.5 to 5.5. The only problem is most shampoos don’t provide that information on bottles. If they do provide it keep it in mind, most water used to wash hair isn’t the best for our hair, and having the right level shampoo can help even that level out.
- Find a shampoo that has a conditioner that pairs with it. Most shampoos will have a conditioner match to use after shampooing. You will always get a better match when using a paired shampoo and conditioner combo over a mix and match set. Typically, the shampoo has all the cleaning ingredients needed while the conditioner provides all the moisturizing color-locking ingredients.
How To Take Care Of Color Treated Hair
There are many tips and tricks available that you can try with your color-treated hair. I have compiled the most common and beneficial ones for you to try for yourself. Most of us want to make sure that we can get as much time out of our color as we can. There is some great easy way of doing so all on your own to keep it looking great.
- After you have colored your hair, make sure to rinse with the color-protecting shampoo that is provided if provided. Then follow up with the included protecting conditioner, all color kits come with some type of conditioner.
- Don’t over-wash your hair, washing your hair too often after coloring can dry your hair and fade your color prematurely. So, washing your hair twice a week should be plenty enough.
- If you have problems with oily hair in between washes you can invest in a good dry shampoo to take care of the excess oils.
- Take the time to deep condition your hair from time to time. Coloring your hair can suck a lot out of it. You don’t have to use a chemical-ridden deep conditioner either. You can use something as simple and natural as coconut oil, olive oil or almond oil heated up and used as a hot oil treatment will suffice.
- Make and do your own hair mask once a week, to give your hair nutrients it will love. There are many different combinations you can use. That can include mayo, egg, honey, banana, or avocado. Mix what you want to use together and coat your entire hair with it. Leave it to sit for approximately 30 minutes and rinse.
- Use a shampoo that is formulated for color-treated hair that has sun protectant in it to protect it from the sun. Otherwise invest in a sun hat or spray sunblock on it, because those rays will suck the color right out of your hair especially if you spend a lot of time in the sun.
- Heat is not good for your color either, so avoid if possible. If you have to use it though such as a blow dryer set on low heat or no heat. If using a hair straightener brush, use a protectant while using it.
- If you love pool swimming great, but the pool chemicals can mess that hair up in a hurry. So, make sure you keep your hair up and out of the water or wear a swim cap while swimming.
- It’s best to go to a hairstylist for all your follow up touch-ups. That way you know that you are not over torturing your hair, plus you also know you are getting the best result because they have the best view and skills for the job.
Hopefully, some of these tips will help you make sure you get the most out of your color. If you show your hair love it will show your love back in the way it looks. It really doesn’t have to be time-consuming to care for your hair.
Many people out there do color treat their hair it has just become the norm. It has also come a long way over the years and the products have become better.
The first step in your hair care arsenal though is your shampoo and conditioner. I provided a great list of products for you and I am sure one of them will be your best shampoo for color-treated hair.
Having great looking silky smooth color-treated hair can be yours. With a combination of the right hair care products and natural treatments. You can finally have that hair that all your family and friends envy.
Table of Contents
- Best Shampoo for Color Treated Hair 2021 – Tested and Reviewed!
- 1. Color Extend Magnetics Shampoo and Conditioner by Redken
- 2. Anti-Dandruff Sage Shampoo by Maple Holistics Organic and Natural
- 3. Bosley Bos-Revive Shampoo for Color Treated Hair
- 4. Kerastase Soleil Bain Color Treated Repairing Shampoo
- 5. Biolage Colorlast Shampoo and Conditioner by Matrix
- 6. Sulfate Free Argan Oil Shampoo by Maple Holistics
- 7. Argan Oil Shampoo and Conditoner Duo by Art Naturals
- 8. Biolage Colorlast Shampoo and Conditioner Duo by Matrix
- What To Consider In Shampoo For Color Treated Hair
- How To Take Care Of Color Treated Hair
- Final Note